The launch this week of the #thisfillycan campaign by the TBA and BHA aims to promote the benefits of buying, owning and training fillies and mares on the Flat. The launch of the campaign follows an extensive review undertaken by the BHA.
Highlights of the review included:
- About 700 Flat races are now programmed exclusively for fillies, 40% more than 10 years ago.
- The median prize fund available in fillies’ races was above that of open races in each of the last 10 years.
- Once rated 75, the average filly earns more prize money each season than the average colt. Below 75, both sexes earn a similar amount.
- More fillies are winning black type and yet their median handicap rating remains constant at about 98.
- The quality of fillies in training has improved, with 650 more fillies rated 85 and above than 10 years ago, an increase of 58% (versus 39% for colts).
Ruth Quinn at the BHA points out “By highlighting the significant opportunities available to fillies, and their overall earning potential, we hope to close the gap by positively changing the perceptions of breeders, owners and trainers to realise that fillies can be an excellent prospect on the racetrack, which can only benefit all corners of the industry.”